Our experienced team of editors and researchers contributed to this article and tested it for accuracy and completeness.
The number of sources used in this article is 25. You will find a list of them at the bottom of the page.
A team of content managers carefully monitors the work of editors to ensure that each article meets our high quality standards.
Such summer hats, such as hats and caps, are often saturated with sweat and fat secretions of the sebaceous glands, losing their appearance. Fortunately, sweat-stained headgear can be quickly and easily stained in one of four ways you will find in this article. For your favorite hat to shine again with cleanliness, you need only a little time and a few improvised household tools.
The relevance of the issue
Felt things are not erased. If there are stains, it is advisable to first determine their origin and only then be determined with a cleaning agent.
You can also use this mixture: simple table salt, ammonia and vinegar in a ratio of 1/2/2. Thoroughly mixed mixture wipe the most dirty places.
Some useful tips:
- You will need to mix the denatured alcohol and ammonia in a proportion of 1/1. After wetting a piece of coarse tissue in this solution, wipe the contaminated areas.
- Using a solution of table vinegar and water in a proportion of 1/1, white lime stains are removed.
- To remove especially oily stains, a stain remover or refined gasoline is used. It should be borne in mind that the stain remover is only suitable for cleaning white hats, because it leaves white marks after it dries.
- Simple starch can also be used to remove greasy stains. A simple toothbrush is taken, dipped in starch and the pollution is wiped. Leaves to dry completely. Then the already dried-up place is cleaned with a brush and rubbed against the pile with water and vinegar in a proportion of 1 tsp. per 100 ml, respectively. Then the hat is dried on a jar.
Bleaching felt products
Hydrogen peroxide cleanses yellowness, which sometimes appears on light and white felt hats. Preparing a mixture in the proportion: 3 tbsp. l hydrogen peroxide and 1 tsp. ammonia. With a brush, yellowness is removed.
If yellowness struck a large area, then ordinary bran or semolina can correct the situation. The croup must be thoroughly rubbed from the outside, and then thoroughly knocked out from the back. After this procedure, the hat will become like new.
If after all the cleansing operations the white color fades a little, then talc can help. It is sprinkled on the surface of the product and cleaned with a brush against the pile.
It is also possible to use sodium hydrosulfate for bleaching felt. 15 g of powder is diluted in a liter of water. Then chalk is added here. You need to get a mixture such as thick sour cream.
This solution is applied with a brush to the hat, then dried, after which the remaining chalk is removed with a brush.
Sweat and dust removal
Sweat stains are cleaned with ammonia. The brush is dipped in alcohol, and the dirty area is thoroughly wiped until completely cleaned. After that, the cleaned area is wiped with a damp cloth.
Dust and sweat separately can be cleaned quite easily, but in aggregate they can be a rather difficult to clean mixture. You can clean such pollution with brine.
For its preparation requires one and a half tablespoons of salt, 5 tbsp. l table vinegar, 5 tbsp. l ammonia. Mix thoroughly until the salt is completely dissolved. For cleaning, a clean white cloth is used, which is moistened in the solution and wiped dirty places with it.
After that, the hat is wiped with a dry cloth. In general, to prevent such contamination between the inner leather tape, it is desirable to put a layer of cotton fabric.
A little about the rules of operation and storage
There are certain rules for the operation of hats, following which will keep the product in its original form for many years.
- For example, a hat is not hung on a hook (this leads to its deformation), but is placed on a flat surface of the hat shelf.
- In rain and snow, felt hats are not worn, because moisture is losing shape.
- If this happens, wipe with a brush in the direction of the pile and pull on a glass jar to dry.
- If after the rain there are visible traces on the hat, which is quite likely with modern acid precipitation, then you can remove them simply by holding the hat over the water boiling in a small saucepan. After that, the spots will go away.
- If the hat is old and has a shabby appearance, then you can also restore youth to it by treating it with steam, and then stroking it with a brush on the pile.
It is better to store felt products out of season in a box, after having previously printed inside with a newspaper.
Information on the label will tell
Before washing a colored cap, you need to make sure that it does not fade from washing. You need to wet a cloth and gently run along the surface of the fabric. If there is a color trail, it is better to take the hat to dry cleaning or just throw it away. Is it possible to wash a baseball cap in a washing machine, and at what temperature, a label sewn to the lining will tell you. There must be information about the fabric from which the cap is sewn, and in what mode it can be washed.
How to remove sweat stains from a cap using soda?
Mix 4 tablespoons of baking soda with a little water to make a paste. Rub this paste into the yellowed area of the fabric (you can still rub it with a brush) and leave. After 2 hours, wipe off the entire cap, rinse and dry. If the yellowness has not completely disappeared, rub the soda again. Soda is also mixed with perhydrol and liquid soap (2: 1: 2).
Essential Laundry Soap
Fresh traces of sweat are washed with a simple laundry soap. It is necessary to wet the whole cap with cold water, rub the yellowed area with laundry soap and leave it to get wet in cold water for 2-3 hours. Then wash. Old stains can be removed with laundry soap with oxalic acid: soap the sponge, rub the soap, wash in half an hour. Then wipe with a solution of oxalic acid (tsp. In a glass), wash after 10 minutes.
From the first-aid kit
Take 2 tablets of acetylsalicylic acid, crush them and mix with water (half a glass). Moisten the spotted area for 3 hours and wash. If the fabric is still yellowish, prepare a thick gruel from water and aspirin powder, smear the yellowed fabric, shake off the powder after an hour and wash the cap. This way you can get rid of yellowness on colored baseball caps.
Salt will help
Dissolve a tablespoon of kitchen salt in 1 glass of water, moisten the yellow portion with this solution, wipe it after a few hours. Salt well removes perspiration stains from natural fabrics: cotton and linen. A mixture of ammonia or borax and salt also helps. For this, 1 tsp. ammonia or borax dissolved in a glass of water, add 1 tsp. salt and rub into a cloth with a brush. After half an hour, wash and wash.
This recipe is only suitable for white fabrics with yellowish spots. Dissolve in water (liter) 1 tbsp. l 3% hydrogen peroxide and soak the cap for 30 minutes. If the spots are in place, you can wet a napkin or cloth with peroxide without water and process it again. It is impossible to determine exactly how long the clarification takes, it is necessary to check. After yellowing disappears, the cap must be thoroughly rinsed.
Helps to get rid of sweat stains and ethyl alcohol. To do this, it is necessary to impregnate a cotton swab or gauze (bandage) folded into several layers with alcohol and rub it into sweat-yellow cloth for 10-15 minutes. Then wash with powder and dry. If traces of sweat still remain, then once again treat with alcohol and wash again - and so on until the tissue is completely cleansed.
Other stain removal recipes
Sweat stains can be removed by combining other home remedies and adding new ingredients to the recipes already described.
Here are some more recipes for getting rid of sweat traces without leaving your apartment:
- Gasoline + ammonia. For old spots. First, the yellow areas are treated with gasoline, and then rubbed with a napkin, sponge or rag moistened with ammonia. Particularly carefully you need to process the contours of the spots so that there are no traces after drying.
- Vinegar + laundry soap. Fifteen drops of 9% vinegar are poured onto a stain, and after 10 minutes, the cloth is rubbed with vinegar with soap, left for 4 hours, then washed.
- Lemon + Salt. Only for white caps. Fresh lemon juice (squeezed from 1 lemon) is mixed with 1 teaspoon of fine non-iodized salt, applied to contaminated areas and left until morning. Then rinse thoroughly.
- Soda + vinegar. The yellowed tissue is moistened with vinegar, rubbed with a solution of soda after half an hour, then washed.
- White Spirit + ammonia. For woolen and colored caps. White spirit is mixed with ammonia (4: 2), stains are treated, rinsed after a while.
After washing and rinsing, the baseball cap is pulled on a spherical or ellipsoidal object so that it does not sit when it dries and looks ironed. Cardboard was inserted into the visors of old caps. These caps cannot be washed (especially in a washing machine). The visor must be wiped with a swab moistened with stain remover, then wiped several times with swabs moistened with water and blotted. The cap itself (without a visor) must be carefully so as not to wet the visor, wash it manually.